Kiwis and Castles

Monday, February 13, 2006

It's Monday morning and I'm sitting in the library in Canberra. I came here to see a National Treasures display which I've just found out closed yesterday. So now I'm not really sure what else there is to see in the library and I might head across the park to the National Archives or the Art Museum. There is also Questacon - like an Aussie Science World - which sounds like more fun.

Over the weekend I went with Alistair's girlfriend (Kylie)'s family to Lake Burrinjuck over in New South Wales. When the resevoir is full it apparently holds more water than Sydney Harbour, but the government is letting out about 1% per day for irrigation of rice fields. The water level this weekend was about 39% but it was still huge. Everyone went waterskiing and kneeboarding except poor old me who had to settle for some calm tube rides. It was still a lot of fun though. It reminded me of our old cottage on Lake Simcoe because at night we just sat around and talked and play cards and made fun of each other.

A highlight (and lowlight, as I'll explain in a minute) of the weekend was the kangaroos. They were all over the park and they were the first that I'd seen other than in the Zoo in Wisconsin. They were brown and most of them were a bit shorter than me when standing on their back legs. The majority were friendly, too, except this one male I had some issues with. Kylie and I were walking to the office of the park camp site and came across a male, a female, and a baby. We had brought bread with us to feed them and threw some at the female. The male jumped over and stole all the bread, then came rushing towards Kylie. She threw all of it at him and we backed away really quickly. The female and baby came over to eat some too so I got my camera out to take a picture of the family. I guess the male thought I had more food because he started slowly making he way over to me. I backed away slowly and he kept advancing slowly. I was getting nervous but was doing alright until I saw the massive claws come out on his front paw. Then I got panicky. I think all the bear safety things I learned in school were actually useful because instinct told me that I probably shouldn't turn my back and run since that would look like an invitation to attack me. So I stayed facing him and backed away quickly, with the big kangaroo still advancing. By this time I was infront of the cabins beside ours and a few big families were having a BBQ. They were all watching but no one came and tried to help me. I backed away a little more and then finally the kangaroo gave up and jumped away. Despite the fact that I was now insanely scared of kangaroos, I did manage to pluck up enough nerve to feed a nice female the next morning. I'll post the picture when I get back to NZ, but I look absolutely petrified.

I suppose I should go and see some other sights while I'm in the city, although if museums get a bit boring I'm sure I can find my way over to the mall for some retail therapy.

1 Comments:

  • Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home